Slow cooker lemon herb chicken uses inexpensive bone in chicken for an easy and tasty dinner.
I almost always use boneless skinless chicken breasts when I cook. Most of the time when I’ve eaten dark meat chicken it is sawdust dry so I avoid using it.
However, a few weeks ago at the grocery store samples of some slow cooked citrus chicken were handed out. Even though I knew it was thigh meat I decided to try it. It was delicious. When I saw the price was around twelve dollars for two pounds of heat and eat chicken my frugal side won out.
Knowing I couldn’t recreate the exact recipe I decided to try my own citrus herb chicken. The result is this slow cooker lemon herb chicken. Chicken leg quarters are slathered with a mixture of lemon juice, dried herbs, seasonings, and olive oil and cooked for several hours.
15 minPrep Time
5 hrCook Time
5 hr, 15 Total Time
- Four chicken leg quarters approximately five pounds
- 1 lemon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 Tablespoon dried or 3 Tablespoons fresh chives
- 1 Tablespoon dried or 3 Tablespoons fresh parsley
- 2 pressed garlic cloves
- 1 Tablespoon dried minced onions
- Zest and juice the lemon
- Mix the lemon juice, zest, oil, salt, pepper, chives, parsley, garlic, and onions in a bowl
- Lift the skin over the thigh of each leg quarter and slather the meat with the lemon herb mixture
- Cook on high for 4 to 5 hours or until a thermometer reads 175 degrees
Suggested side dishes for slow cooker lemon herb chicken