Slow Cooker Chicken Spinach and Orzo Soup takes mere minutes of hands on time for a delicious and filling meal.
I love trying new soup recipes during the colder months. Unless a soup recipe is heavy on cream or cheese they’re usually inexpensive which is always a bonus.
This particular soup is a cross between my chicken spinach and gnocchi soup and Italian wedding soup both of which are delicious but a bit heavy on the prep work. The longest part of this recipe is chopping the onions which is great.
Another fabulous feature of slow cooker chicken spinach and orzo soup is its adaptability. I used boneless skinless chicken breasts but you could use chicken thighs or bone in breasts. Diced carrots would be a fabulous addition and would be in the recipe if I had not forgotten to buy them.
Serve with some crusty bread or your favorite sandwich or salad for a fast and fantastic meal for even the most blustery days.
10 minPrep Time
6 hrCook Time
6 hr, 10 Total Time
- 3 to 4 chicken breasts, approximately 1 pound
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 to 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons salt free herbs and spices seasoning blend. I used 21 seasoning salute from Trader Joe's but your favorite works
- 8 cups low sodium chicken broth or stock
- 1 cup orzo pasta
- 4 cups fresh spinach
- Salt to taste
- Place the chicken, onion, garlic, seasoning blend and chicken broth in a 4 to 6 quart slow cooker.
- Cook for six hours on low or until the chicken is tender
- Remove the chicken and set aside to cool slightly
- When chicken is cool enough to handle shred or chop
- Twenty minutes before serving add the orzo, spinach and chicken back to the slow cooker
- Taste and adjust seasonings as needed