Potatoes Stroganoff has all the best flavors of traditional Stroganoff in a one dish meal.
Today’s #SundaySupper is all about celebrating grandparents and recipes handed down from them. When I saw the theme I asked my mom what some of my grandparents’ favorite foods were. We discovered I had most of their favorites on the blog already. Chicken and Dumplings – check, chicken and dressing – yep, beans, cornbread, and fried potatoes – most definitely.
Mama mentioned that MawMaw liked beef Stroganoff and since I already have a recipe for ground beef Stroganoff I decided to make a twist to the usual recipe.
Mama made Beef Stroganoff how her mother, MawMaw, with ground beef, onion, cream of mushroom soup, sour cream, and egg noodles. For the Potatoes Stroganoff I jazzed up the sauce a bit with some canned mushrooms and beef broth and used Southern-style Hash browns instead of egg noodles to make this a skillet supper.
It is not the most photogenic food in the world but it is delicious. The mushrooms, beef broth, and tangy sour cream create a delectable sauce and the beef and potatoes make this stick to your ribs comfort food.
Serve this with your favorite steamed vegetables and a colorful green salad for an easy supper. I know MawMaw would love it.
10 minPrep Time
25 minCook Time
35 minTotal Time
- 1 pound ground chuck
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup
- 1/2 cup low sodium beef broth
- 1 (4 oz) can sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1 (32 oz) bag southern-style Hash browns thawed and drained
- 8 ounce container sour cream
- Salt and pepper to taste. I use white pepper in this.
- Heat a 12 inch skillet with a lid over moderate heat
- Add ground chuck and onion
- Season lightly with salt
- Cook the beef, breaking up large chunks until the meat is browned and the onions are translucent
- Stir in the soup, broth, and mushrooms
- Heat to bubbling, then remove approximately 1 cup of the sauce and place in a medium sized bowl
- Add the hash browns to the skillet and gently stir
- Cover and cook for 15 to 20 minutes or until potatoes are tender
- Whisk together the reserved sauce and sour cream
- Pour into skillet and heat through
Sweets that are the Sweetest
- Buttermilk Pie by Feeding Big and more
- Chocolate Chip Banana Cake by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Chocolate Covered Cashews by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- German Applesauce by Magnolia Days
- Grandma’s Lemon Meringue Pie by The Freshman Cook
- Grandmas Raisin Bread by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Homemade Brotchen by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Irish Brack (fruit loaf) by Caroline’s Cooking
- Laura’s Old-Fashioned Prune Cake by Palatable Pastime
- Nana’s Million Dollar Cake by The Crumby Cupcake
- Nanny’s Tea Cakes by Whole Food | Real Families
- Nanny’s Raisin Filled Cookies by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Old Fashioned Cinnamon Rolls by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Pop Pop’s Peanut Butter Fudge by Runner’s Tales
- Pumpkin-filled Cream Puffs by Brunch with Joy
- Summer Peach Cake by Pies and Plots
- White Chocolate Raspberry Cheesecake by The Redhead Baker
Savory Meals with Special Memories
- Busia’s Barbecue Sauce by Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Gram’s Cajun Rice Dressing by Food Lust People Love
- Grandma’s Greek Salad by FamFriendsFood
- Grandma’s Polish Meatballs by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Grannies Clam Dip by Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch
- Individual Breakfast Fritattas with Vegetables by Delaware Girl Eats
- Nunney’s Super Mac N Cheese by Momma’s Meals
- Portuguese Stove Top Pork Roast by Family Foodie
- Potatoes Stroganoff by Cookin’ Mimi
- Shepherd’s Pie Quebec Style (Pate Chinois) by Curious Cuisiniere
- Taco Pie by Food Done Light
5 Tips for Preserving Family Recipes and a Grandparents Day Tribute by Sunday Supper
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.