Lemon Buttermilk Pound Cake with Strawberry Coulis is a perfect springtime dessert.
It’s time for the Group A Secret Recipe Club. I was assigned Cookaholic Wife and decided to make Lemon Buttermilk Pound Cake with Strawberry Coulis.
This wasn’t the only recipe of Nichole’s that caught my eye. My first thought was to make Fettuccine with Tex-Mex Pepper Cream Sauce but my last two SRC recipes both had green chiles so I wanted something a bit different.
I’m glad I decided to make the Lemon Buttermilk Pound Cake because it was awesome. I normally do not like pound cakes at all. This one was tender, moist, and delicious. I’ve already thought of a few plays on the basic recipe.
The strawberry coulis was a bit tart for my tastes even with the cake. I think it was because my berries were a little tart.
30 minPrep Time
60 minCook Time
1 hr, 30 Total Time
- 2 cups strawberries, hulled and quartered
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 Tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 3 Tablespoons sugar
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups sugar.
- The zest of 1 lemon. Zest the lemon before juicing for the coulis
- 3 eggs, room temperature
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/4 cups buttermilk at room temperature
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- Combine the ingredients in a food processor or blender. Pour through a fine mesh strainer. Cover and refrigerate until needed.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Butter and flour a 10 inch fluted tube pan.
- In a medium bowl combine the flour, salt and baking powder.
- In a 2 cup or larger measuring cup or glass combine the buttermilk, oil, and vanilla.
- In the bowl of a mixer cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Scrape down the sides and beat in the lemon zest.
- Add in the eggs one at a time, beating well between each addition.
- Alternate the flour and buttermilk and oil. Beginning and ending with the flour. Do not over mix.
- Bake on a foil lined sheet pan for 50-60 minutes or until a tester comes out with fine crumbs.
- Cool in pan on wire rack for an hour. Gently loosen the cake from the pan, remove and cool on wire rack until cool.
- Serve with strawberry coulis
Adapted from Cookaholic Wife