Bone in chicken is combined with vegetables and savory seasonings then finished with scratch dumplings for a delicious meal of homemade chicken and dumplings.
I’m super excited to be part of group B of the Secret Recipe Club. I had been a member of group A for years and now I am looking forward to making new bloggy friends.
This month I was paired with Renee’s Kitchen Adventures. She has some amazing recipes folks.
Smokehouse burgers will be just the thing this summer. Some other recipes I drooled over are Meyer Lemon Loaf Cake because I am all about lemon sweets, City “chicken” which l have made a different version of, easy cheesy chicken noodle casserole well because it’s chicken noodle casserole, and turkey taco pie because I love Mexican inspired food.
I finally decided to make Renee’s recipe for chicken ‘n dumplings because with the cool weather we’ve had recently it just sounded so good. I have a recipe, and I use the term very loosely here, for slow cooker chicken and dumplings which is very thick and stew like.
Renee’s version is more like chicken noodle soup than how I normally make chicken and dumplings which I really liked. In fact I think next time I may add some frozen peas.
15 minPrep Time
60 minCook Time
1 hr, 15 Total Time
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 1 diced medium onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- Hefty pinch of kosher salt
- 2 pounds bone in chicken breast
- 8 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1 teaspoon celery flakes
- 2 Tablespoons dried parsley
- 2 cups all purpose flour plus more for rolling
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup milk
- Heat oil in a large Dutch oven over medium heat.
- Cook carrots, onion, and garlic until onion is translucent.
- Add the chicken, broth, salt, celery flakes and poultry seasoning.
- Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat and simmer for 20-30 minutes or until chicken is tender. Remove from heat and set aside to cool while you make dumplings.
- Add parsley to the broth.
- Stir together the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Pour the milk into the flour and stir until a soft dough is formed.
- Roll out on a floured surface to 1/2 inch thick then cut into 1 to 2 inch squares.
- Drop cut dumplings into simmering broth.
- Cook for 20-30 minutes or until done.
- Debone the chicken, remove the skin and shred or cube. Add to the broth and heat through.
This is something I will definitely make again.