Hearty Two Bean Chili is easy to prepare and freezer friendly.
I use my slow cooker pretty frequently especially in the winter months when we eat a lot of soups and chilis. I love being able to do a bit of chopping, some sautéing, drop everything in the slow cooker, cover and turn it on then go about my day.
A great thing about hearty two bean chilli is the longer it simmers, the better it gets. If you’re going to be gone longer than eight hours just keep it on low and you’ll be good to go.
Lean ground beef and breakfast sausage is browned with onions, bell peppers, and garlic then mixed with a great blend of herbs and spices. The meat and veggies are then mixed with two kinds of beans and tomato juice and simmered in the slow cooker for hours.
20 minPrep Time
6 hrCook Time
6 hr, 20 Total Time
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 pound pork breakfast sausage
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped bell peppers
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 Tablespoons chili powder
- 3 Tablespoons paprika
- 3 teaspoons cumin
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 (15 ounce cans) Pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 ( 15 ounce cans) small red beans, drained and rinsed
- 48 oz tomato juice
- Brown the ground beef and breakfast sausage over moderate heat, breaking up with a spoon
- Drain fat off and return to the skillet
- Add the onion, bell peppers, and garlic
- Cook for three to five minutes
- Add in the seasonings and mix well
- Place the beans and meat in a 6 quart or larger slow cooker
- Pour in the tomato juice, stir, and cover
- Cook on low for 6 to 12 hours
- Serve with your favorite fixins
- To freeze: quickly cool the chili. Divide into meal sized portions and place in labeled freezer bags or containers. Freeze for up to 3 months for best quality.
- To reheat : Thaw in fridge overnight and heat in sauce pan until bubbly