This week’s #SundaySupper theme is meatless meals and is hosted by Tammi from Momma’s Meals. I knew I wanted to go Mexican influenced because I love Mexican and Tex-Mex cuisines. My first thought was bean and cheese enchiladas but we already had bean and cheese enchiritos being posted. So I decided to make green chile enchiladas because I adore green chiles.
This is one of those recipes where you can easily vary the amounts of some of the ingredients and still come out with delicious food when all is said and done. I used two cans of whole green chiles for ten enchiladas but you could use just one can and make the same amount. It would just be half a chile per enchilada instead of a whole one.
30 minPrep Time
30 minCook Time
1 hrTotal Time
- 10-12 corn tortillas
- 1-2 (5.75 ounce) cans whole green chiles, drained
- 1 (28 ounce) can green enchilada sauce
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3/4 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 3/4 cup shredded Pepper Jack cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- Pinch of salt
- Black Pepper
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- Canola or vegetable oil for frying the tortillas.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Heat a thin layer of canola oil in a small skillet until shimmering. Fry the tortillas until puffy, about 30 seconds per side. Drain on a paper towel lined plate or baking sheet.
- In a medium skillet over moderate heat cook the onion and garlic in the olive oil. Set aside to cool slightly.
- Mix the cheese together in a medium bowl.
- Pour a thin layer of enchilada sauce in the bottom of a 9 by 13 inch baking dish.
- Add half of the cheese to the onion and garlic.
- If using one can of the green chiles add half a chile to the middle of a tortilla and top with a couple of tablespoons of the cheese and onion mixture. Roll up and place seam side down in the baking dish.
- If using a while chile split the chile open and stuff with the cheese and onion mixture, close the chile and fold tortilla.
- Continue until all the chiles and tortillas are use. You may have some of the cheese and onion mixture left.
- Pour the enchilada sauce over the tortillas, sprinkle with any remaining onion, and cheese mixture, and top with the remaining cup of shredded cheese.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes or until golden and bubbly.
Salads, Soups, Stews and Starters
- Spicy Vegan Potato Salad by Killer Bunnies, Inc
- Veggie Salad Trio with Zucchini Noodles and Pesto by Hip Foodie Mom
- Olive Tapenade by MealDiva
- Chickpea Chile Soup with Greens and Grains by Shockingly Delicious
- Thai Coconut Curry Butternut Squash Soup by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Potato Chickpea Stew by The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
- “Beef” Stew with Potato Cake Tops by Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Mushroom and Wild Rice Soup by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Teriyaki Quinoa “Meatballs” by The Foodie Patootie
- Black Bean “Meatballs” with Marinara by Foxes Love Lemons
- Spicy Vegetarian Meatballs by Mess Makes Food
Pastas, Pizzas and Casseroles
- Zucchini and Mushroom Skillet Lasagna by Curious Cuisiniere
- Four Cheese and Spinach Stuffed Shells by Melanie Makes
- Spicy Penne with Tomatoes and Havarti by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Cheesy Tomato Casserole by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Deconstructed Vegan “Lasagna” by What Smells So Good?
- Ramen Stir Fry by Ninja Baking
- Roasted Red Pepper Lasagna by Cravings of a Lunatic
- Broccolini Macaroni and Cheese by Family Foodie
- Sundried Tomato and Zucchini Pizza with Goat Cheese by Healthy. Delicious.
- Creamy Parmesan Mushroom and Leek Pasta by Neighborfood
- Roasted Veggie Manicotti by Hot Momma’s Kitchen Chaos
- Pasta Patate by Webicurean
- Spaghetti and Chickpeas and Roasted Tomato Sauce by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Broccoli, Mushroom, and Rice Casserole by Momma’s Meals
- Radicchio and Gorgonzola Tortelloni with Butter and Walnuts by Manu’s Menu
- Quinoa Black Bean Burger with Ginger Cilantro & Turmeric by Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Garbanzo and Brown Rice Burgers by girlichef
- Tofu Burgers by Small Wallet, Big Appetite
Tacos & Everything Wrapped
- Blackened Tofu Tacos with Asian Slaw by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Mushroom & Poblano Tacos by La Cocina de Leslie
- Green Chile Enchiladas by Cookin’ Mimi
- Beet and Goat Cheese Tacos with Avocado Cream by The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Black Bean and Avocado Flautas by Supper for a Steal
- Black Bean Spinach Quinoa Burritos by Alida’s Kitchen
Other Main and Side Dishes
- Vegan, Gluten Free Breakfast Bars by Pies and Plots
- Mushroom and Lentil Cottage Pie by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Mediterranean Tomato Tart by Magnolia Days
- Lentil Stuffed Peppers by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Fontina Polenta with Sauteed Porcini Mushrooms by La Bella Vita Cucina
- Leek and Zucchini Tarte Tatin by Food Lust People Love
- Tofu and Peas Curry (Tofu Matar) by Soni’s Food
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos. Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.