I’m always on the lookout for new side dishes, especially rice sides. Green chile and cheese rice is an easy recipe that has great flavor.
Rice is sauteed with onions, and garlic before simmering until tender then chopped green chiles are added. That is added to a baking dish and topped with sour cream and shredded Monterey Jack cheese and baked until the cheese is golden.
This would be perfect to serve with Mexican or Tex-Mex recipes or with grilled chicken or pork. If you wanted one stop cooking some diced cooked chicken could be added before baking the casserole.
5 minPrep Time
30 minCook Time
35 minTotal Time
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup long grain white rice
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 (7 ounce) can chopped green chiles
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Heat the oil in a medium sauce pan with a lid.
- Cook the garlic and onion until softened.
- Add the rice and cook stirring frequently until opaque
- Add water and salt, cover and cook for 15-20 minutes or until done.
- Remove from heat, fluff with fork, and stir in green chiles.
- Place in a greased 8 inch baking dish
- Beat the sour cream in a small bowl until thinned slightly.
- Pour the sour cream over the rice and sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 10-15 minutes or until cheese has melted and is bubbly and golden.
If you like Green Chile and Cheese Rice you may also like these: