This easy Flatbread recipe is a great base for wraps and even pizza.
I adore homemade bread. I like bread in general but there is something about homemade bread that is extra special. I’m the first to admit that making yeast bread can be a bit intimidating. Getting the temperature of the liquid correct and kneading just the right amount is something that comes with practice.
However this flatbread is super simple and doesn’t even need an oven. You just cook the rolled out discs in a skillet for a couple of minutes per side.
There are so many ways to use the finished recipe. You could use them instead of a flour tortilla in my roast beef wraps, or instead of my skillet soft wrap bread in chicken fajita melts. My favorite way to use them is as a pizza crust. I have some delicious individual flatbread pizza recipes coming soon.
90 minPrep Time
6 minCook Time
1 hr, 36 Total Time
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- 1 Tablespoon yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 cups all purpose flour, I used unbleached
- Combine the water, sugar, and yeast in a medium bowl
- Let it sit for 10 to 15 minutes or until bubbly
- Place two and a half cups of flour in a large bowl
- Pour in the yeast and water
- Add in the salt and oil
- Stir together
- Place on a lightly floured surface and knead by hand, adding flour if needed, until the dough is slightly sticky and stretches without breaking
- Place in an oiled bowl and cover
- Let rise for one hour or until doubled
- Punch down and divide into eight pieces
- Cover and let dough rest for 10 minutes
- Heat griddle or heavy skillet over moderate heat
- Roll dough into 6 to 8 inch circles
- Place in griddle or skillet and cook for two to three minutes per side
- Repeat until all rounds are cooked
This post may be linked at these fabulous blogs as well as Weekend Potluck.