Fettuccine with Creamy Garlic Sauce is a flavorful and fairly inexpensive main dish.
Fettuccine Alfredo is one of my favorite dishes of all time but heavy cream and butter are not cheap. The jarred sauces while less expensive, don’t taste as good.
The sauce in this recipe is reminiscent of homemade Alfredo sauce but definitely more wallet friendly.
This is actually post 2 of 2 for this month’s Secret Recipe Club. I’m filling in for an orphaned blog in Group A.
Rachael is an Australian who lives in Switzerland and blogs fabulous vegetarian recipes at Pizza Rossa.
Since I didn’t have as long to try dishes as I normally would I don’t have my usual long list of recipes to try. But after the holidays are over I plan on perusing more.
My first thought was orecchiette with broccoli. I finally decided to make Spaghetti with Creamy Garlic Sauce. Even though I have probably 10 to 12 pounds of pasta in my pantry spaghetti was not one of the shapes.
One of my favorite parts of this recipe is I almost always have all the ingredients on hand. That makes this a great recipe for the nights when I may have forgotten to thaw something for dinner.
One thing to be sure when making the fettuccine with Creamy Garlic Sauce is save plenty of the pasta cooking water. I used at least a cup of the water to get the sauce the way I like it. If you use a thinner pasta you may not need as much but better safe than sorry.
20 minPrep Time
20 minCook Time
40 minTotal Time
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 3 Tablespoons all purpose flour
- 1 cup room temperature milk
- 1 head roasted garlic
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 cup finely grated Parmesan Cheese
- 12 to 16 ounces fettuccine
- 1 to 1.5 cups pasta cooking water
- Cook pasta in salted boiling water according to directions
- Measure out pasta cooking water
- Drain and set aside
- Squeeze the garlic from the head of garlic and mash In a small bowl
- Melt the butter in a non stick sauce pan
- Whisk in the flour, cook for one to two minutes
- Whisk in the milk and garlic
- Cook until thickened
- Stir in the Parmesan Cheese and salt
- Pour over the cooked pasta and toss
- Add small amounts of the reserved pasta cooking water until desired creaminess is achieved