Creamy Garlic and Herb Pasta is a tasty side dish made with pantry staples.
I could eat pasta every single day but I don’t usually make pasta based side dishes unless it is mac and cheese or a pasta salad. I do have a weakness for the little packets of noodles and sauce so I don’t even look at them in the stores.
Yes they are cheap and convenient but filled with not so good for you ingredients. This homemade version of creamy garlic and herb pasta isn’t much more expensive, especially if you stock up on pasta when it is on sale and isn’t any more difficult than the pouches.
You start by cooking your favorite short cut pasta. I used rotini but shells, elbow macaroni, or even rigatoni would work.
Onion and garlic are sautéed in butter and oil then flour, chicken broth and milk are added to make the sauce which is seasoned with salt, pepper, dried parsley, dried chives, and garlic powder for a double dose of garlicky deliciousness.
Stir in the cooked noodles and voilà creamy, garlicky noodles.
10 minPrep Time
20 minCook Time
30 minTotal Time
- 8 ounces short cut pasta such as rotini, shells, or elbow macaroni
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
- 2 Tablespoons all purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley
- 2 teaspoons dried chives
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cook the noodles in salted boiling water according to directions
- Drain and set aside
- Melt the butter in the olive oil over medium heat using the same pot you cooked the noodles in
- Cook the onion and fresh garlic for one to two minutes or until the onion has softened and is translucent
- Sprinkle with flour and whisk together to make a paste
- Cook for a minute or two
- Whisk in the milk and chicken broth
- Bring to a bubble and cook for 3 minutes or until thickened
- Stir in the parsley, chives, garlic powder, salt, and pepper
- Add the noodles and coat with the sauce
- Tasterisk and adjust salt and pepper if needed
More Side Dishes: