Valentine’s Day is Friday. Hard to believe, isn’t it? This week’s #SundaySupper Theme is Valentine’s Recipes for Two.
I’ve been on a big cooking with mushrooms kick so I combined that with my favorite restaurant style pasta dish- Chicken Alfredo to come up with Chicken and Mushroom Alfredo.
It’s kind of funny that I’m participating in a Valentine’s Day themed #SundaySupper since it’s not all that big of a deal to me. In fact the best Valentine’s Day I ever had was the year my sister and I went out for pizza and to see the second Harry Potter movie at the dollar theater. That tells you how long ago that was.
But I couldn’t resist the chance to make chicken Alfredo especially with mushrooms added. Pasta is my love language.
Chicken and Mushroom Alfredo
- Four to six ounces fettuccine
For the chicken and mushrooms:
- 1 chicken breast butterflied
- 1/4 cup flour
- Salt and pepper
- 4 ounces button or baby bella mushrooms sliced
- 1/2 medium onion diced
- 1 minced clove garlic
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon butter
For the Alfredo sauce
- 3 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon finely minced parsley
Cook the fettuccine in salted boiling water until just tender. Drain and add back to pot.
For the chicken and mushrooms:
Heat the olive oil and butter in large skillet over moderate heat.
Combine the flour and a pinch each of salt and pepper.
Coat the chicken in the flour, shake off the excess.
Place in the butter and oil cooking for 3-4 minutes per side. Set aside and keep warm.
Add the mushrooms, onion, and garlic to the skillet. You might need to add another teaspoon or so of oil.
Cook stirring frequently for about five minutes or until the mushrooms and onion are tender, Remove from skillet.
For the Alfredo sauce:
Place the butter in cream in the same skillet you cooked the chicken and the mushrooms in. Heat, stirring frequently, until the butter is melted and the mixture is bubbling.
Add in the salt, remove from heat and stir in the Parmesan cheese until melted.
Pour the sauce, and the mushrooms and onion over the pasta, sprinkle with parsley and heat over low heat, tossing frequently until warmed through.
Place the pasta in plates or bowls. Slice the chicken and place on top.
Recipe NotesButterflying chicken is basically cutting one piece of chicken open like you would a loaf of French bread to make garlic bread. You turn that single chicken breast into two. That makes it a great way to stretch your chicken breasts and your food budget.
- Bacon-Wrapped Dates Stuffed with Ricotta from Casa de Crews
- Kumquat Vanilla Marmalade from Shockingly Delicious
- Southwestern Meatballs wrapped in Bacon from Momma’s Meals
- Almond-Crusted Sole with Mushroom Pilaf for Two from Small Wallet, Big Appetite
- Bacon Crusted Beer Mac and Cheese from Melanie Makes
- Baked Crab Cakes with Lemongrass-Ginger Mayo from The Weekend Gourmet
- Baked Pasta with Sausage and Fontina from The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Baked Tilapia En Papillote from It’s Yummi!
- Chicken and Mushroom Alfredo from Cookin’ Mimi
- Drunken Snow Crabs from Family Foodie
- Eggs in Purgatory from Noshing with the Nolands
- Flambéed Veal Chops from MealDiva
- Homemade Philly Cheesesteak Stromboli from In The Kitchen With KP
- Meyer Lemon Butter Sauce Prawns with Linguine from Food Lust People Love
- Pan Seared Scallops with Lemon-Basil Beurre Blanc, Pancetta, Apples and Fennel from Crazy Foodie Stunts
- Pan-Seared Scallops with Linguine and Tomato-Cream Sauce from Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Roasted Vegetable Lasagna for Two from Hot Momma’s Kitchen Chaos
- Salmon Pakoras from Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Swiss Fondue for Two from Curious Cuisiniere
- White Queso Mac and Cheese for Two from Daily Dish Recipes
Decadent Desserts and Drinks:
- Baked Custard from Magnolia Days
- Cherry Spritzer Ice Cream Float from Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Chocolate Budino with Strawberry Hearts from Manu’s Menu
- Chocolate Malt Bread Pudding from Alida’s Kitchen
- Chocolate Marshmallow Duets from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Chocolate Pots de Crème from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Fresh Berry Parfait with Crème Anglaise from Hip Foodie Mom
- Fudgy Dark Chocolate Brownies with Raspberry Sauce from La Bella Vita Cucina
- Funfetti Strawberry Cheesecake Trifle from Take a Bite Out of Boca
- German Rose Water Sugar Cookies For Two from Killer Bunnies, Inc.
- Gluten Free Chocolate Hazelnut Truffles from Gluten Free Crumbley
- Gluten-Free Deep Dish Hot Fudge Brownies for Two from Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Ice Cream Stuffed Crepes with Nutella and Fresh Berries from Neighborfood
- Malawian Mbatata Cookies with Coconut Cream from Happy Baking Days
- Orange-scented Bread Pudding with Hard Sauce for Two from girlichef
- Pecan-Crusted Coconut Custards with Brandied Banana Sauce from The Texan New Yorker
- Pistachio Pudding For Two (From Scratch) from Chocolate Moosey
- 3 Japanese-Style Treats for Your Sweet from Ninja Baking
- Valentine’s Cupcakes with a Surprise from From the Bookshelf
- White Hot Chocolate from Pies and Plots
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter every Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat.
Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy! You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.