Chicken a la King is total comfort food. Tender chunks of chicken and vegetables are cooked in a delicious creamy sauce. Perfect over mashed potatoes, egg noodle, or rice.
Chicken is a dinner time staple at our house. I am sure that is true for many homes. Because of that I am always looking for more chicken recipes.
Chicken a la King is a new family favorite. It reminded me a bit of a crust less chicken pot pie. The recipe I tweaked came from 2 Cookin’ Mamas who just happen to be my Secret Recipe Club assignment for June.
I continued combing through the recipe index and saw this recipe. I had never made Chicken a la King before but it looked easy and delicious.
Being me I changed it up a bit. I added onions, used a homemade cream of chicken soup I am testing , used chicken broth in place of the sherry, and mixed vegetables because I had those in the deep freeze.
This is the perfect use for leftover roast chicken or make Turkey a la King after the holidays. Thanks for a delicious recipe Linda and Christina.
10 minPrep Time
30 minCook Time
40 minTotal Time
- 2 cups chopped cooked chicken
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 2 (10) ounce cans cream of chicken soup
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup half and half
- 12 ounce bag of frozen mixed vegetables
- Chopped parsley
- Hot mashed potatoes for serving
- Melt butter in a large skillet over moderate heat
- Sauté onions in butter until softened and translucent, about five minutes
- Add in the chicken, cream of chicken soup, broth, half and half, and vegetables
- Stir well
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes or until heated through and vegetables are tender
- Stir in chopped parsley, salt, and pepper
- Serve over mashed potatoes
This post may be linked at these fabulous blogs as well as Weekend Potluck. and meal plan Monday