Cheesy Green Chile Chicken and Rice Casserole is a Tex-Mex spin on the usual chicken and rice.
Casseroles are on our menu pretty frequently because I can usually get at least two suppers and a couple of lunches from cooking once. That’s a total win in my book.
This casserole is pretty simple even though it is made completely from scratch. No canned cream of.. soups in this recipe. I even roasted the chiles but feel free to use canned diced green chiles.
The reason I used ones I roasted is I’ve been able to find fresh Anaheim chiles for $.99 per pound. A can of green chiles is at least 79 cents. Depending on how finely I chop the chiles I can get at least the equivalent of two cans per pound of chiles.
This is not a quick throw it together at the last minute recipe because it bakes for 45 minutes. It needs that long in the oven for the rice to absorb some of the sauce.
20 minPrep Time
75 minCook Time
1 hr, 35 Total Time
- 2 cups par-boiled or converted rice
- 4 cups water
- 2 cups cooked chopped chicken
- 4 Tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 Tablespoons flour
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 (4 ounce) can chopped green chiles
- 1 1/2 to 2 cups shredded Colby Jack or Cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Spray or butter a 9 by 13 inch casserole dish
- Cook the rice in the water according to the package directions
- Place in a large bowl along with the chicken and green chiles
- In a skillet melt the butter over moderate heat
- Add the onion and cook for three to five minutes or until translucent
- Sprinkle with flour and whisk together
- Cook for another minute or two until the raw flour smell is gone
- Whisk in the chicken broth
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for ten minutes or until thickened
- Place the sour cream in a bowl and whisk in a small amount, approximately 1/2 cup, of the thickened sauce
- Pour the sour cream into the skillet and gently warm
- Pour the sauce over the chicken and rice
- Gently stir to combine
- Pour into prepared casserole dish
- Top with cheese and bake for 45 minutes or until the casserole is bubbly and golden brown
- Let rest 15 minutes before serving