This week’s #SundaySupper theme is Super Eats for Game Day and is hosted by Hezzi D’s Books and Cooks. Let me tell you guys that I am looking forward to getting some ideas for next football season because one of my favorite parts of football season is the food.
These mini meatball and mozzarella sandwiches are made with ground beef and simmered in a homemade sauce and topped with shredded mozzarella before being placed on dinner rolls. They beat any sub shop meatball sandwich I’ve ever eaten.
In addition to being perfect for game day these would be a fabulous lunch or dinner served with chips and fruit.
Funny story about why I made these. My niece loves to watch cooking shows with me and one day we were watching The Pioneer Woman and she made this and my niece told me the next time she visited she wanted the sandwiches. So I put my own twist to her recipe.
Yields 16 sandwiches
20 minPrep Time
30 minCook Time
50 minTotal Time
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 Tablespoons oil
- 1/2 medium onion, finely chopped or grated
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 28 ounce can crushed tomatoes
- Hefty pinch of sugar
- 3-4 Tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 2-3 Tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- To taste salt
- To taste pepper.
- 16 dinner rolls
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Combine the meatball ingredients together. Shape into 16 evenly sized balls.
- In a large skillet with a lid, cook the onion over medium heat,for 2 to 3 minutes. Add meatballs and garlic. Cook until the meatballs have browned on each side for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Carefully add the crushed tomatoes, parsley, basil, sugar, salt and pepper. Stir carefully.
- Cover and cook for 20 minutes or until the meatballs have reached 165 degrees.
- Top each meatball with shredded mozzarella cheese. Remove from heat and let sit for 3-5 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- Place a meatball and some sauce on a split dinner roll. Serve immediately.
Inspired by The Pioneer Woman
Game Day Appetizers:
- Honey Mustard Pretzel Crunch from Shockingly Delicious
- Salt and Vinegar Wings from Casa de Crews
- Saucy Wings and Thighs from Hot Momma’s Kitchen Chaos
- Macaroni and Cheese Spring Rolls from Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Steak Rolls from Cravings of a Lunatic
- Alpine Sliders from Manu’s Menu
- Hellfire Wings from Yours and Mine Are Ours
- Easy Nacho Bar from Momma’s Meals
- Jalapeno Popper Taquitos from Curious Cuisiniere
- Skinny Game Day Guacamole Potato Skins from Daily Dish Recipes
- Buffalo Chicken Lasagna Cups from Alida’s Kitchen
- Spinach-Stuffed Jalapeno Poppers from La Cocina de Leslie
- BBQ Veggie Mini Burgers from Happy Baking Days
- Spicy Roasted Corn Shrimp Dip from Food Lust People Love
- Honey-Sriracha Pigs in a Blanket from Hip Foodie Mom
- Beer Cheese Fondue from Melanie Makes
- Cheesy Artichoke and Garlic Bread from La Bella Vita Cucina
- Whole Wheat Pepperoni Pizza Bites from Meal Planning Magic
- Personal Chili Pots from MealDiva
- Italian Spring Rolls from Noshing with The Nolands
- Mexican Meatballs with Queso Blanco from Cooking on the Ranch
- Parmigiano Crisps from The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
- Buffalo Chicken Potstickers from Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Mediterranean Nachos from The Little Ferraro Kitchen
- Chinese Barbecue Wings from girlichef
- Mini Veggie Quesadillas from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Roasted Tomato Hummus from The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Cashew Baba Ghanoush : Roasted Eggplant Dip from Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Buffalo Chicken Wing Dip Potato Skins from Family Foodie
- Lemon Bay Pan Roasted Shrimp from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventure
- Honey Sesame Seed Crackers from Kudos Kitchen By Renee
Game Day Entrees:
- Super Sloppy Joes from The Foodie Army Wife
- Buffalo Chicken Chili from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Mini Meatball and Mozzarella Sandwiches from Cookin’ Mimi
- Super Bowl Bento from Ninja Baking
- Vegetarian “Chorizo” and Black Bean Chili from Foxes Love Lemons
- Twice Baked Chili Cheese Potatoes from Neighborfood
- Barbecue Chicken Sloppy Sandwiches from Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Easy Vegetarian Chili from Delaware Girl Eats
- Game Day Chili from Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Dr. Pepper Turkey Chili from The Texan New Yorker
Game Day Desserts:
- Heavenly Hash Cookies from The Foodie Patootie
- Cookie Dough Billionaire Bars from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Chocolate Streusel Bars from Magnolia Days
- Coffee Chocolate Swirl Cheesecake Squares from Desserts Required
- Microwave Caramel Popcorn from Pies and Plots
- Mini Coconut Cups from Basic N Delicious
- Triple Chocolate S’mores Brownies from Take A Bite Out of Boca
- Cracker Jack Candy from What Smells So Good?
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter every Sunday!
We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world.
Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag
and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat.
our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy! You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.