From scratch coconut cream pie is a crowd pleaser.
Today is my very first #SundaySupper post and I am so excited to be joining this very talented group of bloggers. I’m acquainted with a few of the members like Nicole from Daily Dish Recipes because of another group I’m in but there are a ton of new to me bloggers to get to know.
Since today’s theme is Father’s Day I decided to make my daddy’s favorite pie in the world. Yes, I am in my 30s and still refer to my dad as Daddy. It must be a southern thing because my mom still refers to my granddaddy as “daddy” and she has grandchildren of her own and Granddaddy has been gone for 19 years.
- ½ cup sugar
- ⅓ cup all purpose flour
- 1½ cups milk
- ½ cup butter
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 eggs, separated
- 1 cup, plus ¼ cup shredded coconut
- 1 cup heavy cream, whipped and lightly sweetened OR
- 1 8 ounce container whipped topping
- 1 9 inch pie shell baked and cooled
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Place the ¼ cup coconut on a baking sheet. Bake for 5-10 minutes, stirring frequently until toasted. Remove and let cool.
- Whisk together flour, sugar and salt in a heavy bottomed sauce pan. Add the milk, egg yolks and butter. Cook over medium heat whisking constantly until the mixture has come to a bubble and has thickened enough to coat the back of a spoon. Remove from the heat and stir in the vanilla and 1 cup coconut.
- Pour filling the prebaked and cooled pie crust, and let cool for about 45 minutes or until room temperature.
- Place in the fridge and let it chill completely before adding the whipped cream and toasted coconut.
Dad’s Favorite Main Dishes:
- Father’s Day Ribs by Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Chorizo Burgers by La Cocina de Leslie
- Whiskey Sliders by Cravings of a Lunatic
- Beer Can Chicken by Crazy Foodie Stunts
- Pesto Shrimp Roll Sandwich by Growing Up Gabel
- Cast Iron Filet Mignon with Wine Sauce by I Run For Wine
- Grilled Tilapia with Blueberry Mango Salsa by Runner’s Tales
- Chicken Wings for Dad by The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
- Fish with Black Bean Sauce by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Spaghetti with Homemade Meatballs by Curious Cuisiniere
- Tamale Pie Ring by Treats & Trinkets
- Grill-Roasted Chicken & Vegetables by Foxes Loves Lemons
- Grandma Papina’s Lamb Stew by Webicurean
- Barbecue Beans and Ribs by Food Lust People Love
- Skillet Meat Lasagna by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Panko Crusted Snapper by Supper for a Steal
- Gluten Free Bourbon Honey Grilled Pork Chops by No One Likes Crumbley Cookies
- Boiled Shrimp for Father’s Day by The Catholic Foodie
- Dad’s Famous Baby Back Ribs by Family Foodie
- Turkey Stuffed Peppers by Ruffles & Truffles
- Lightened Up Fish Biriyani With Fresh Dill by Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Cauliflower, Potato, and Cheddar Pierogi by Healthy.Delicious
Dad’s Favorite Appetizers and Sides:
- Spicy Caramelized Bacon Wrapped Smoked Oysters by Noshing with the Nolands
- Tuna Pasta Salad – Dad’s Recipe by Juanita’s Cocina
- Grilled Bok Choy by Shockingly Delicious
- Bacon-Cheddar Potato Salad by Home Cooking Memories
- Couscous Tabbouleh by Soni’s Food
Dad’s Favorite Desserts
- Dad’s Cheesecake by Table for 7
- Cheese Crackers by The Urban Mrs
- Coconut Cream Pie by Cookin’ Mimi
- Chewy Oat Cookies with a Banana Bread Influence by What Smells So Good?
- Homemade Nutter Butters by Pies and Plots
- Shoot for the Stars Chocolate Cupcakes by Ninja Baking
- Golden Coconut Bars by Magnolia Days
- Classic Oatmeal Raisin Cookies by NeighborFood
- Velvet Cookies by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Pecan Pie by Small Wallet Big Appetite
Come celebrate Father’s day with the Sunday Supper Team! We would love to have you join our Twitter #SundaySupper chat starting at 7:00 pm EST. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag throughout the day to see the amazing recipes. We look forward to seeing you. To join all you need to do is follow the#SundaySupper hashtag and share your favorite tips and recipes. Be sure to check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more delicious recipes and photos.