This dinner takes around an hour from to start to finish but it isn’t complicated and only takes a skillet and a baking dish. You can customize the spiciness level your family prefers by using a hotter diced tomatoes with green chiles or enchilada sauce. I would keep one of those mild to make sure you don’t start any five alarm fires in your mouth.
Southwestern Beef and Black Bean Bake
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
- 2 cups (1 15 ounce can drained and rinsed) black beans
- 1 10 ounce can diced tomatoes with green chiles
- 1 small can red enchilada sauce
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 9-12 corn tortillas, torn
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Spray a 9×9 inch baking dish.
- In a large skillet over moderate heat brown the ground beef, onions, and garlic until meat is cooked through and the onions are softened. Drain off any fat.
- Add the black beans, tomatoes with chiles, and enchilada sauce to the skillet. Simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- Ladle a small amount of the meat mixture in the bottom of the prepared dish. Top with 1/3 of the tortillas, 1/3 of the meat mixture and 1/3 of the cheese. Repeat layers until ingredients are gone.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 20-25 minutes or until bubbly and golden.
- Let rest for 10 minutes before serving.
For more in this series click below
Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from my readers so comments are welcome. I have over 100 more recipes in the index if you want to check them out.