Lasagna is one of my favorite dishes. What I don’t care for is all the time and expense that goes into making it. My lasagna bake has all my favorite traditional lasagna flavors but takes less time and money.
Inexpensive egg noodles are layered with meat and béchamel sauces and mozzarella cheese and baked until bubbly and golden.
- 1 12 ounce bag egg noodles
- 1/2 pound Italian Sausage or ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 15 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 3 cups marinara sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 2 Tablespoons flour
- 2 cups milk
- To taste salt
- To taste black pepper
- 2 to 2 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- Cook egg noodles according to package directions, drain and set aside.
- In a large skillet cook the Italian sausage or ground beef, onions, and garlic until the meat has browned and the onions are soft and translucent. Drain off any fat.
- Add the marinara sauce, diced tomatoes with juice, basil, and oregano. Season to taste and simmer while you make the béchamel sauce.
Place the milk in a microwave safe bowl and heat for 2 or 3 minutes. You don’t need scalding hot milk but you do want to take the chill off.
In a sauce pan melt the butter. Once the butter has melted whisk in the flour.
Cook the roux for two to three minutes. You want it to stay light in color but the raw flour smell should be gone.
Add in the warm milk while whisking constantly to reduce the chance of lumps.
Bring to a simmer and cook for five to ten minutes until the sauce has thickened enough to coat the back of a spoon. Season as needed with salt.
Spray a 9 by 13 inch dish with no stick spray.
Ladle a small amount of the meat sauce in the bottom of baking dish.
Layer half the egg noodles, half the meat sauce, half the béchamel and half the mozzarella cheese.
Cover and bake in a 350 degree oven for 20 to 25 minutes, remove cover and bake for 10 minutes longer or until the cheese is starting to brown and the dish is bubbly.
Let rest five to ten minutes before serving.
You may also like:
Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from my readers so comments are welcome. I have over 100 more recipes in the index if you want to check them out.