Parmesan Herb Orzo is yet another quick and easy side dish. Orzo is a pasta that is similar in shape and size to rice. You might have to search a bit to find it on the shelf. My local stores that carry it put it on the top shelf.
I combined it with shredded Parmesan cheese, garlic, onion, and herbs. This is would be excellent served with Buttermilk Herb Chicken or Easy Italian Grilled Chicken with some steamed broccoli or Butter Garlic Green Beans
This recipe is adapted from Mom Advice. I of course switched it up a bit.
10 minPrep Time
25 minCook Time
35 minTotal Time
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 to 3 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
- 3 1/2 cups chicken or vegetable broth or stock
- 2 cups orzo
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1 Tablespoon minced fresh parsley (use 1/2 as much if you use dried herbs)
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh basil (use 1/2 as much if you use dried herbs)
- To taste salt
- To taste black pepper
- Heat the oil over moderate heat in a pot with a tight fitting lid.
- Sauté the onions and garlic until translucent and fragrant.
- Add the broth and bring to a boil.
- Add the orzo, return to a boil, and reduce the heat to medium low.
- Cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes or until the pasta is tender and most of the liquid has been absorbed.
- Stir in the cheese and herbs.
- Season as needed with salt and pepper.
You might also like these side dishes: