This is one of my let me see what I have in the cupboards and fridge to throw supper together creations. It uses pantry staples and produce most people are likely to have on hand.
I cooked this in my slow cooker because my stove was having issues. The rice was a bit mushier than I liked. I over cooked it because I hadn’t made rice in the slow cooker in awhile and forgot how long I normally cook it. I’m giving you stove top directions to make it easier on all of us.
The Mexican salad part of this dish is the lettuce, tomato and onion topping. That’s what my favorite restaurant calls the salad like garnish.
Taco Bowl with Mexican Salad
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 1 cup long grain white rice
- 2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 tablespoon paprika
- salt, pepper, garlic and onion powders to taste (can use1-2 Tablespoons taco seasoning instead if desired)
- a few shakes of hot sauce, optional
- 1/4 cup of salsa
- shredded cheese
- chopped lettuce
- chopped tomato
- chopped onion
- hot sauce
- sour cream
In a 2 quart sauce pan with tight fitting lid brown the ground beef over medium heat. Drain fat if needed. Add the rice and seasonings, cook and stir for a minute or two. Pour in water, salsa, and hot sauce if using. Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes or until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender.
Remove from heat and rest for 5 minutes. Divide mixture into bowls or rimmed plates, top with cheese, lettuce, tomato, and onions. Serve with sour cream, hot sauce, and salsa if desired.
Checkout more inexpensive and tasty dishes at $5 Dinner Challenge
I love comments and read each one I get
[tweetmeme source="cookinmimi" service="wp.me"]
Latest posts by Micha M (see all)
- Fabulous Comfort Foods-Share Your Stuff Tuesday #61 - August 18, 2014
- Easy Pork Fajitas - August 13, 2014
- Back to School Recipes – Share Your Stuff Tuesday #60 - August 11, 2014